Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBatten Width / Pocket width

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don54321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batten Width / Pocket width
    Posted: 11 March 2012 at 1:06pm
I need to procure a set of full length battens for a roughly 26' X 8' catamaran sale  I purchased as new, old stock, for my Tremolino trimaran.    My concern is that buying a seemingly wide enough batten will yield a way too stiff batten.  

The plastic luff side, sail protector pocken that receives the batten is 2.5" wide, inside dimension. Batten pockets are ~2.5 " wide.   I would think that a ~2" batten was intended, which I would think would be way, way, too stiff in non-tapered fiberglass.

The previous sail had 1 1/4 inch fiberglass battens, which is pretty normal I think for this size sail.  I was thinking of going with  somewhat wider 1 5/8 inch battens just to fill out the pocket better.  On the other hand, maybe I should not care about the pocket width and just use a narrower, more flexible batten without sail modification, obviously the narrower battens would fit, but very loosely.  Battens are secured and tensioned via lines through grommets at the leech, so they con't fall out.

Should I just ignore the batten pocket width?

Would I notice the difference in stiffness between 1 1/4 and 1 5/8?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Don

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 8:53am
Hi Don,
Yes, ignore the pocket width. It is somewhat normal for the pockets to be quite a bit larger than the batten width.

The standard batten for a catamaran is the 1" Catamaran Batten #3611. But a Pultruded fiberglass battens in 1 5/16" width would work fine.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
don54321 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don54321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 10:42am
Hello Matt, 

Thank you.   I make a point to buy from Sailrite, even if I can save a few dollars elsewhere in consideration of the support.  In this case, I will likely re-purpose my original battens if width is no concern.  I have a bunch of other projects which will surely generate other sales.

Many thanks.

Don
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 10:51am
Thanks Don. Your support is the reason we are able to do the free videos and employee knowledgable staff!

Best Regards, Matt Grant

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic