Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBass Boat Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass Boat Cover
    Posted: 28 October 2008 at 8:24am

Good Morning,

I am in the process of constructing a cover for a bass fishing boat.  To secure the boat, a combination of tie downs and a pocket for a cinch line will be sewn into the bottom of the cover.

Are there any recommendations you can make when sewing the tie downs into the cover with regards to how they should be sewn in, using a reinforcement patch, etc.? 

In addition, are there any recommendations you can make when sewing the pocket in for the cinch line?

One last item, is there an industry standard used for the length of fabric allowed from the top plane of the boat to run down the hull for the cinch line?  Essentially the piece that will be gathered around the hull to help secure it in place.

As always, thank you for your input and assistance.

Sailing the Chesapeake - Keri
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 9:10pm

A lot depends upon the material being used. If using Sunbrella be sure to line the pocket with something less abrasion resistant. SurLast would work well as a liner. It is flexible and very abrasion resistant. I would use loops of webbing sewn to the cover for the tie downs locations.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Keri View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 7:45am

Thanks Matt,

I am in fact using Sunbrella and will be sure to line the pocket.  I hand't actually thought of that aspect and appreciate the advice.  I will probably use Harbor Time as I have some on hand already. 

Is there a standard to use for the distance to run down the hull from the top edge of the boat for the cinch line (how far down should the cover drop on the sides of the hull?)?

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 8:02am
All boats are different but the longer the skirt the more protective the cover will be. Just go with what looks good and gets the cinch line in a location where tensioning it will help to hold the cover down and on.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Keri View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:14am
Skirt - that's the word I was missing Wink

Thanks as always for your excellent service and advice.  It is certaintly appreciated.

Regards,
Keri

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic