Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBack to Back Lounge Sleeper Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Starting Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to Back Lounge Sleeper Seats
    Posted: 23 April 2009 at 12:01pm
I am new to this forum and I hope that I have chosen the correct place to post this question.  I have purchased almost all of the Sailrite instructional DVD's available and unfortunately none of them show me what I need to get done.

I have totally ripped apart my sleeper seats from our Wilker, attached new foam, purchased all of the vinyl and now I am stuck.  Haven't a clue how to pattern out the seats.  The dimensions of the new foam seem to be a lot larger than the old.  (3 inch) Does anyone know of a DVD or book ( I have several) that can show me how to re-upholster lounge/sleeper seats in my boat?

I live in Canada and unfortunately there is no one in my area to question about this.

Thanks for you time.

vincek View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vincek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 12:59pm
I think this is pretty similar to automotive type upholstery work.

The Automotive Upholstery Handbook by Taylor is very good.
I would start with that.

Vince
jim grant View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 1:29pm
I hope that you still have the old covers. They may require some modification but they can often provide at least a starting point for new patterns.
Jim Grant
Just Starting Out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Starting Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 2:16pm
Thank you VinceK for your speedy reply.  I do in fact have this book, but unfortunately it seems to only show how to upholster bench seats.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Starting Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 2:20pm
Thank you as well for such a speedy reply.  I did keep the old covers and I agree that they will need some modifications.  Can I ask another question, please?  When I cut the new foam, I added 1/2 inch all around.  I also cut a 3 by 3 inch piece on the diagonal to place on the edge of each seat.  It looks like a triangle.  My question is this; should I round this off with an electric knife or sand it round or is it suppose to look like this?
jim grant View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 3:19pm
The triangle will be somewhat rounded when you cover it, but it will still look somewhat like a triangle. I don't think that you need to round it carefully (although that is not "wrong"), but I would cut it so that there are at least three or four "planes" instead of the two that you have now. Some go to the trouble of putting a 1/2 inch or so layer of foam over the shape in order to make sure that the surface looks smoothly round.
Jim Grant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Starting Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 5:49pm
Thank you for the information.  I am going to give it a shot and hopefully it works.

Will let you know how I fare...thanks again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Starting Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 5:31pm
Can I upload photos to this forum so that you can see what I am talking about when I am asking questions of you, and if so, how do I do this?
Thank you.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 10:45am
Sorry but the forum does not allow for photos. You can always send an email directly to matt@sailrite.com for comment.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic