Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our β€œHow-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedAwning Tension Poles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GofigureL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning Tension Poles
    Posted: 15 June 2007 at 10:40am

We want to build an Awning Kit for the foredeck of our 25-foot sail boat. We're interested in the kit that shows a “Tension Type” External Pole System (2007-2008 Catalog, page 23, Figure 6); however, we could not find any info in the catalog about how to get the tensioning poles (presumably they are like those internally-bungied, flexible tent poles that break down into sections).

1. Could you please refer us to a source where we could get the poles? 
  2. Also, we plan to make sleeves for the poles and attach them to the underside of the awning … is there any reason that might not be a good idea?

Thanks, Lorraine and Ed

w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 1:38pm
I suggest just using flexible batten material and sew in pockets for the ends.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 9:04am
Hi,
I think the battens are often too heavy and they certainly can not be broken down into a shorter length bundle.

My preference is to go to a camping type store (Gander Mountain, etc) and get collapsible tent poles. These are round fiberglass sections which fit together with bungee cord in-between. Make sure to get the heaviest stock available.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 10:55am
Hi Matt:

This may work for smaller boats, say 25’ or so, but a good gust of wind would tear up your rig on an awning for a 36’ boat.  Most people here are using Sunbrella or Surlast for awning material.  I’ll stick to my guns regarding use of battens for tensioning rods.  They may not break down, but they stow nicely next to handrails on the coachroof.  5/8’ (stock #27115) should be sufficient.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic