Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedawning cover attachment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbarre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: awning cover attachment
    Posted: 30 March 2010 at 2:38pm

We had a large cover built on the back deck of our 50' Island Trader motor-sailer approximately 14'x14'   square, metal frame with 3 cross bars that have a slight arch in them.  I am wanting to sew a canvas cover for the top.  My question is what is the best way to attach the cover to the bars?  I know my options are zippers, velcro, grommets with rope, snaps or common sense fasteners.  I want it to be easy to install and remove, but I want it to be secure and not flap around in the wind.  I can think of pros and cons for all these choices and im not sure what to use.  I am leaning toward either velcro or the common sense fasteners.  Can you please advise me on this matter.

I also want to make some removable side panels and mosquito netting and not sure the best way to attach this to the top.
Thanks
Melissa
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 9:43pm
Hi Melissa,
The issue is that you will want to be able to stretch this top tightly. I recommend grommets and lacing but this is time consuming when it comes to installation and removal.

Twist locks will be easy to secure and release but tensioning is going to be tough.

Another suggestion and perhaps the best is to use the Cover Clips and Knobs. Here is a link: http://www.sailrite.com/Shock-Cord-Cover-Clip-White

These will tighten the top and be easy to remove.

For the side panels, I recommend zippers just under the edges of the top.

Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic