Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedAttaching Webbing to Jib Head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attaching Webbing to Jib Head
    Posted: 28 October 2013 at 3:35pm
I'm replacing the head webbing loop on the Neil Pryde Genoa of our Beneteau First 36.7. Actually I plan to replace the loop with a barred D-ring attached with webbing, with the bar and oriented vertically. The ends of the original webbing, which seems to have been cut with a hot knife, was wrapped in light-weight sticky-back Dacron. Since unravelling seems not to have been a consideration, I'm wondering if this Is necessary and if so what is the purpose.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2013 at 5:20pm
It is mostly decorative. If the webbing edge is heat cut you don't need the sticky back Dacron covering.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 5:36pm
Thank you Matt.

I've unpicked several inches of the head of the jib and removed the web-loop.

The luff attachement is continuous luff tap over 3/16" line. About 1" aft there is what seems to be 1/8" monofilament, what purpose the monofilament performs I don't know.

Using 5" non-adhesive luff tape, going fore to aft, the original construction seems to have been:

1. The 3/16" line was sewed down the middle of the luff tape. The stitches precisely pierce the 3/16" line longitudinally.

2. The luff tape was folded over and the 3/16" line, the the aft edge sewed with a welting foot.

3. The monofilament was the sewed between the two folded-over layers, again precisely piercing the monofilament longitudinally.

4. The fore edge of the monofilament was sewed on the fore edge with a welting foot.

5. Going further aft, the luff tape is sewed with two zig zag rows.

I have the appropriately sized welting feet, but not feet that pierce welting.

Assuming that acquiring feet that pierce welting is unnecessary, and perhaps not even commercially available, and that the originally construction could be functionally replicated, I would like recommendations for using adhesive-backed versus non-adhesive luff tape, and of course any other tips.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 9:35am
The secondary line in a continuous support tape was originally added to keep the primary rope from going forward and jamming in the slot. Modern furling units have a slot that nearly matches the size of the primary rops so the secondary line is not at all necessary. But even today all continuous support line comes with it.

Certainly don't use adhesive backed Dacron Tape. And don't try and make this luff tape yourself. This is one of those areas where you purchase the premade Continuous Support Tape. It takes a special jig and sewing machine to manufacture this tape.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 1:40pm
Thanks again Matt.

My apologies for not being clear. Since about 2" of the original head will be trimmed to attach a barred D-ring instead of the original web loop, only about 4 - 6" few inches of the support tape that was damaged by a combination of chafe and UV needs to be repaired.

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 4:53pm
Just cut it down further. The extra gap will not harm a thing.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic