Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

attaching canvas to hard-top dodger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misspiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: attaching canvas to hard-top dodger
    Posted: 16 July 2013 at 9:49pm
What is the recommended way to attach canvas to a hard-top dodger?  
Using a Keder track??... 
A perhaps just reinforcing the top edge of canvas and riveting that onto the fibreglass hard-top?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 8:48am
You generally want to be able to remove the canvas panels so most prefer to use the Awning Track and run the Keder awning rope through the track (the keder ropw is sewn to the canvas).
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:38pm
The method I used to attach my top canvas to the overhead arch was using the Keder welt and the awning track.

On mine I made a narrow panel w/ the Keder welt that slides into the track. That panel has zippers used to attach the top canvas to the panel.

This configuration works very well on my boat because of the back and forth bends in the arch. Those bends make it difficult to slide the welt (when the peaks and valleys on the arch and the panel are working against each other.) It is handy to have this as two-parts so that removal and replacement is easy.

The image shows the inside of the panel, while attaching the Keder welt.

The opposite side of the panel has Velcro that mates to the top canvas.

2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:45pm
Here is the panel on the rear part of the arch. On the rear panel the Velcro is on the bottom, attaching to the top of the top canvas. On the front panel the Velcro is on the top, attaching to the bottom of the top canvas.

2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
misspiggy View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misspiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 1:54am
thanks so much for the input & photos!  very much appreciated. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic