Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedAnti-wick V92 thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Shaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti-wick V92 thread
    Posted: 15 April 2007 at 12:24pm
Hi Matt,

Some time ago I got some V92 anti-wick thread from you for repairing my fabric backed vinyl boat top.  It was supposed to be more resistant to water coming through the stiching.

As I recall it had more of a tendancy to "ball up" at the needle.   I am using an LSZ-1 machine.

I am going to be restiching a friends camper trailer canvas and wonder if this thread is significantly better than the V69 that I normally use, in regards to anti-wicking properties.

I don't seem to see this product on your web site any more.  BTW it is Dabond 2000 UVR-anti-wick (EA092WT).

Appreciate your comments.

Thank you

David
David Shaver
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 8:40am
Hi David,
The Anti-wick thread is wax coated and will do a better job of "plugging" needle holes which will make the seams more water-tight. If the wax is building up at the eye of the needle it may appear to be balling up. This is actually normal with this thread. If the thread is actually being cut then take a look at your cap spring and see if it is damaged. Let me know if you need more help.

The V-92 and V-69 standard thread would also work fine but use a number 18 needle to minimize the hole size in the fabric.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

David Shaver View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Shaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 3:11pm
Thanks for the quick response Matt.  I did indeed use the V69 and #18 needle.  In some spots I probably should have used a #20 needle as I bent a couple trying to get thru heavy canvas with a plastic spline inside.

A new question:

I notice when I adjust the upper thread tension near the max, the thread seems to jerk through the tension device and is not smooth.  Is this normal?  I purchased one of the first LSZ-1 machines back in 1999 or 2000.  Have there been any changes to the mechanism?  Or is there some maintenance I should be doing?

BTW I can't believe what a difference the monster wheel makes to this machine since I converted.  So much more low speed control.

Thank you

David

Edited by David Shaver - 26 April 2007 at 6:19pm
David Shaver
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2012 at 4:37pm
Sailrite now stocks the Antiwick thread at www.sailrite.com

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic