Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedAnother Leech Line Repair Question!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thalassa2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Leech Line Repair Question!
    Posted: 21 April 2014 at 2:24pm
I recently acquired a relatively great condition 150% genoa with one small tear that has left me a little stumped on how to repair it. The tear is approximately 3 inches long on the fabric of the leech line itself (not on the seam) and goes through both sides of the sail. Barring completely replacing the entire leech line, I am unsure of how to sew the patch on to the sail without sewing over, and therefore close, the leech line itself at the top and bottom edges. The rip is approximately 8 fathoms down the leech line. Any suggestions that do not involve sewing a full leech line patch?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 2:28pm
Unstitch the leech hem, exposing the leech line. Patch repair the damages sailcoth. Now re-install the leech tape or hem with the leech line running freely inside.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Thalassa2014 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thalassa2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 2:56pm
Thanks Matt!

I am assuming that in order to properly manipulate the sailcloth around the leech line, I should unstitch it a good deal past where the actual repair patch will need to be placed?

Appreciate your prompt response. Any suggestions on how I can guess what weight the cloth is? I am thinking somewhere between 4-4.5 oz, but that is really just based on amateur knowledge and feel of the fabric....
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:00pm
Yes, unstitch as much as is necessary to make the patch and keep the line out of the way.

Get 5 oz cloth for the repair. Weight is not that critical for something like this.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic