Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedAngled batten pockets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don54321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Angled batten pockets
    Posted: 23 February 2012 at 10:47am
Hello,  I just bought an new, old stock, Trac-18 catamaran sail for my Tremolino Trimaran.  It is perfectly sized at the foot and just a bit too long at the luff.   

I am somewhat perplexed by the following situation, which I need to figure out:  The clew is slightly higher than the tack, and the batten pockets strangely all angle maybe 10 degrees off horizontal as a result.  The plastic sail mounted batten pocket protector "cups" are aligned square to the bolt rope.  Therefore, the angled battens will present a sharp corner into this cup, instead of being square.  Do I just round off the batten ends, or should I attempt to miter the ends to match.  I know that this all sounds silly, but 8 ft battens are not cheap, so I don't want to be experimenting.  How do the sail makers handle this?   Also, how much longer than the batten pocket should the batten be.  The batten is tension-ed via a string threaded through a hole in the batten and grommets on the batten pockets.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2012 at 8:00am
Hi Don,
It is normal for the pockets and the end protectors to be positioned as you have described. Most Sailmakers just straight cut the batten ends and slide them in place. The fact that a corner of the batten hits the pocket protector end first really does not harm anything. But if you want to go to the work of cutting angles to each batten end that would not harm anything and probably would be a bit stronger. The issue is that each time you put the battens in you will need to flip them the correct way to be sure the angles match.

As for the amount of batten length protruding, the standard is roughly 2 inches.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
rcknight View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2012 at 8:59pm
The clew is higher than the tack so that the boom doesn't whack you in the head on a uncontrolled jibe
Robert

"Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne
don54321 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don54321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 4:47pm
Hello Matt,

Thanks for the answer.  I had never noticed angled batten pockets before.  It is nice to know that I am not working with something weird.

Don
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic