Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice needed on buying sewing machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed on buying sewing machine
    Posted: 02 June 2013 at 6:31am
I am looking to buy Brother cs6000i, will it be good investment? Please guide me as i am totally new in sewing industry.
MelanieBoomer View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieBoomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 7:14pm
Brother cs6000i is very much know for its quality. You can visit my review of this sewing machine by clicking on the URL.
http://www.squidoo.com/brother-cs6000i-reviews-and-best-price

Edited by MelanieBoomer - 06 June 2013 at 3:50am
Steven View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 12:19pm
Hi Melanie - This sewing machine can be gotten for very little money. If this is your first sewing machine then it should be a good investment for it will give you the opportunity to learn about sewing and sewing machines. From this you will learn what you like and don't like and then, if you get bit by the sewing bug, you will know better what you want in the next sewing machine should this machine not meet all of your needs.

I strongly recommend that you go to a good sewing store and try one out. Don't be afraid to try other machines and ask for help. If it is a good store the staff should teach you how to thread them and let you do some sewing, and show you all the plusses and minuses of each keeping within your budget. Thus shop around for a good store as well. No one seems to be as helpful as Sailrite but then, sadly they don't sell home sewing machines. These guys can really spoil you.
artisan View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 12:04pm
Good advice!
Fillip View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 7:42am
I'm thinking of buying a sewing machine too but I really have no experience and wanted your opinions on what to get. 
What would you recommend as a good, inexpensive sewing machine for beginners? Are there any particular brands that I should be researching? What do you all use?
artisan View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 8:46am
Hi, Fillip!
I needed a machine that would do heavy duty indoor/outdoor canvas so I bought Singer Heavy Duty 4411 sewing machine. It has done a fantastic job on sewing a new boat cover. The speed of the machine was great and made the job easy to finish in a short amount of time! The machine has already proven it's worth in a short amount of time! You can see another options here http://bestsewingmachinesguide.com/.
Happy sewing!

Edited by artisan - 24 August 2018 at 3:28pm
Steven View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 4:16pm
Hi Fillip,

Since I don't know what you are going to sew and what your budget is I am assuming that you will be doing general purpose home sewing such as hemming clothes, including blue jeans, making drapes, sewing up some simple quilts, and various other clothing, etc. If this is the case then I strongly recommend the Janome HD3000. This is a basic heavy duty home sewing machine featuring a 7 feed dog foot arrangement that works great for piecing quilt blocks and hemming blue jeans. This machine has more than enough special stitches and modern features making it a great first sewing machine and for the most part you will not ever need anything else for general home sewing. This machine can be used to make pillow cases and basic outdoor furniture covers, depending on the fabric.

This machine is not dirt cheap but you do get what you pay for and this machine will allow to expand into sewing with minimal limitations. I think new these sewing machines are running around $350.00 to $400.00 on line but I strongly recommend you buy one from a the local, good, reputable, and authorized Janome dealer. You may pay a little more, but you can try one out, they will teach you how to set it up and thread it, and take care of any warranty issues. Many of these stores also have sewing classes and by taking a class you will in no time be well on your way to sewing with confidence.

Now if you are not willing to pay this much, then any sewing machine will do, since as you go below this price, sewing machines rapidly evolve into lower quality junk. You can easily buy a machine for under $100.00, but you will always be frustrated by their performance. 

If you intend to do more heavy duty sewing such and seat cushions, boat covers, etc. then call Sailrite. They can advise you better than me. I don't work for these folks, but they are such a great company to deal with that, in this day of poor quality and service, when I find some place to do business that is above and beyond I gladly give them a plug.

Regards,
Steven

danfish View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Fillip Fillip wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a sewing machine too but I really have no experience and wanted your opinions on what to get.

It's hard to recommend something if you don't tell what are you going to sew. 
My wife is addicted to Janome. So if you're not going to work with extremely tough materials, maybe that's your option. Steven already recommended you a good one. As for me, I use Sailrite LSZ-1 for leatherworking and home sewing - it works great with heavy fabrics. Also it's affordable comparing to other models. 

- dan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic