Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedadding to side curtains of aft enclosure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding to side curtains of aft enclosure
    Posted: 20 April 2008 at 9:56pm
I had a new 7 section camper back sewn two years ago at the time the aft bimini was made new. It encloses the the cockpit of my express cruiser and the 30 gauge rolled clear vinyl side and stern panels are used only during bad weather. The side panels are stored rolled up between some old sheets as protectors. I use an aft curtain to cover the cockpit when we are not at the boat. The clear vinyl windows have shrunk to he point where they can't be zipped together anymore- the gap at each zipper is approx 1 1/2". Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make extensions? The border is Sunbrella as is the bimini. I thought of sewing a Sunbrella tube the length of each zipper and turning it inside out, flattening then sewing it flat. The existing zipper would be taken off and sewn to these extension pieces which in turn would be sewn to the side panel borders.
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:08pm

Hi Johnboat:

I have heard of panels not fitting after a period of time but this amount of "shrinkage" is beyond anything that I've experienced.  Were the panels made in late summer or other hot weather?  Do you have the panels in the right locations?  I'd suggest making zipper plaques such as those shown in the free demo streaming video on our website.  Leave enough material to fold over the outside edges prior to sewing onto the panels.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
johnboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 3:54pm
Dan-
Thanks, I'll check out the online video. The entire top with side panels were made in the fall of '05 and they were a bit tight to begin with. The panels are different enough so they cannot be mislocated and I have colored ribbons marking each panel anyway. As you do, I find it hard to believe that the skrinkage is that much but I attribute it to first, being vinyl, and second that I don't keep them in place all the time to keep them stretched as a flybridge enclosure would be.
Regards,
John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic