Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedAdding color to sail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding color to sail
    Posted: 27 October 2009 at 11:37am
I have an older mainsail with rust spots. Can I sew in a colorful strip of sail material on both sides to both cover the rust and add color to the sail at the same time?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 5:21pm
Sure, this would work fine. Just select one of the 4 oz Dacron sailcloth colors. Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Greg PA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 8:47am
Matt
Thanks for the reply.

Another question:
I am having trouble sewing with the V-69 in an Industrial Singer 251-2. The thread separates. There is a strand still through the needle, but the rest bunches at the needle eye. This is happening on nylon material and vinyl. I thought I was sewing too fast maybe?

The needle is a #16 that is new. What #18 needle do you recommend for sewing sunbrella?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 2:18pm
The Singer 251-2 take a DBX1 needle. This is the same needle our Sailrite Sailmaker uses. Be sure to check the needle package first. It should say 287W, 1738 (A), 16X231 or DBx1 on the package somewhere. If not, then you are using the wrong needles.

If you are using the correct needle system, you problem is likely that the needle bar height has slipped upward. Or it could be that the machine timing has slipped.

That said I would recommend a #18 needle over the 16 for sewing Sunbrella.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic