Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedAdding Clear Panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regalman190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Clear Panels
    Posted: 09 July 2007 at 9:43am

I have been asked by a client to cut out two solid canvas panels and add clear vinyl windows.  I have my thoughts on this, but since I am new to this business, I could use some help. Cutting out the openings is easy, but how do you finish the cut edges, finish the vinyl insert edges, and then sew them in place?  Looking for some ideas on binding types, sizes, etc.

Thanks,

Joe

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 9:59am
There are a couple of resources you can use. On the Sailrite website (www.sailrite.com) you will find item 102239 which is a video for $2.00 you can purchase showing the entire process of installing a window. Or there is a free simple page on using Facing material under "Instructions and Tips" called "Facing Applications". The video is more appropriate but either will help.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

regalman190 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regalman190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:59am
Thanks Matt.  That video is great help.
What is the most common gage for windows..20 or 30 ?
Joe
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 5:42pm
The heavier stuff will have better clarity but be harder to fold and roll. I like to use .030 for use in canvas. For sail windows .020 should be used and for panels that will be almost permanent (not rolled) use .040.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic