Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Locked92 or 138 Tenara thread??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixmkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 92 or 138 Tenara thread??
    Posted: 15 February 2017 at 1:13am
I see a lot of both, but since Tenara isn't initially as strong as Poly thread, wondering if I should be using 138 for my marine canvas (bimini's dodgers, sail covers).  Helm covers and winch covers, smaller projects with less seam tension...etc... the lighter Tenara is OK of course, but I'd like to leave my machine on one thread weight if possible.  My ONLY gripes about the heavy Tenara are that it goes FAST off the spool!!  Also, using even a #18 needle (#16 seems to small) using the Serv 7 needles, will leave holes in Sunbrella, should I ever have to pull out some stitches.  A #14 needle and regular Tenara doesn't seem to leave noticeable enough holes to worry about.

Btw...unless it's re-stitch on some old canvas, I'm ONLY using Tenara on the projects I'm doing.  Plus my competition seems to use it exclusively too :-)

Edited by mixmkr - 15 February 2017 at 1:14am
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 4:28pm
I personally think the standard weight Tenara or Profilen is the correct weight to use for marine canvas work.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic