Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Locked90 degree corner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90 degree corner
    Posted: 27 July 2009 at 6:17pm
I am making a cover for a hard fiber glass dinghy out of sunbrella. The boat has 90 degree corners. I installed a templet and found that at all corners i get a pucker. Should i cut a wedge out and sew it together?   

p.s.  The sunbrella hangs over the sides about 2".
jim grant View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2009 at 9:27pm
The pucker usually results from trying to sew a 90 degree corner -- it can't be done! There will be a radius no matter how careful you are. So you cut a 90 degree angle in the plate and then sew the boxing on with a radius (even though it might be very small) -- the result is the pucker! Try cutting the plate with just a little radius (1/4 inch or so) and see if the pucker doesn't go away.

You may be just sewing a 45 degree angle across each corner at a 2 inch depth to create your 'boxing' (technically it is a 'skirt' here) -- this, too, will create a bit of a pucker but it is usually not enough to worry about (I don't).
Jim Grant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic