Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Locked4 way stretch vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 way stretch vinyl
    Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:07am
Hello
I'm new to sewing and took on what was a pretty big project for the first one ,cockpit cushions. I'm happy with the way they turned out but the issue is how to minimize the stretch. i've tried using less foot pressure with a long stitch and now going to try a shorter stitch any other hints that might help. I'm using the LSZ1 machine and also using a cording which causes one to stretch and one that dose not  thanks for any advice.Angelo 
Matt B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 10:43am
Hello AFL,

Be sure to pin together the fabric pieces evenly. Place pins at intervals of approximately 1 inch.

Guide the fabric layers evenly through the Sewing Machine Do not push, pull, or tug on the fabric.

• 3 Make sure that your machine stitch length is appropriate to the fabric. A stitch that's too short or too long will cause the fabric to pull or pucker. 

Take care with very thin or single layers of fabric. Some very thin fabrics will pucker if the stitch length is too long.

Use the appropriate needle for the fabric and make sure that the needle is not damaged in any way. A needle that is the incorrect size may cause your fabric to pucker, as will a nicked or worn needle.

Make sure that the presser foot exerts the appropriate amount of pressure on the fabric.  Make this adjustment manually.

Check the machine's tension. A too-tight tension device may cause puckers, especially with a zigzag stitch. Your machine's tension device may also be out of balance.

Make sure your bobbin is wound evenly.

If you still have questions, call me at 1-800-348-2769  Matt Borden

Matt Borden

Sailrite
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 11:45am
Beyond what Matt B suggested I would also not use a 4 way stretch material for box cushions. I usually only use the high stretch material for applications where stretch and staple makes sense. So an example would be a PWC seat or a bike seat.

This is not to say you can't use this material but stretch control could me more of an issue.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
AFL View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 2:43pm
Thanks you for the fast response and info. Although the material was a bear to work with, the stretch material makes for a nice seating surface and with a lot of effort the cushions turn out really good. but i now understand it was not the best material for my application. Lesson learned great forum Thanks Again 
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 3:05pm
Thanks Again and let us know if you have future questions.

Best Regards, Matt Grant
Sailrite
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic