Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Locked3mm Wet Suite - Won't sew

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3mm Wet Suite - Won't sew
    Posted: 26 April 2007 at 6:07pm
I am making some small holders using 3mm neoprene with cloth on each side (cloth is part of the 3mm)

LSZ-1

When I try and sew 2 layers the upper thread shreds and or the bottom stitch (bobbin side) skips - I started with V92 & #18 needle.

1 layer sews ok - 1 layer and light webbing is ok - 1 layer and clear vinyl is ok

Tried new #20 needle then tried V69 thread still with the #20 needle.

some time back I made some holders with similar material and I don't remember having any problems.

The machine will sew 8 layers of sunbrella with no problem so I am reluctant to change what is I think a properly timed machine.

any suggestions??

I finished the holder by hand but would prefer to use the machine on the other holders.

thanks

mike b

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 8:52am
This fabric is very elastic and it is likely being pulled into the needle plate opening and then up into the center foot opening as the needle is extracted from the fabric. This "bouncing" of the fabric upon needle entry and exit will reduce the loop size created for the hook to catch the thread which will cause both problems. Try using a leather point needle "DI" or buffing the point of one of your existing needles to be more of a ball point needle to see if the problem is resolved. Please let me know --- by the way you are correct that it is not a timing issue. Call me if you need further help. 800-348-2769. Matt
mikeb View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 6:31pm
Gave the above a try and not much good results - I am working on some custom handheld vhf radio and related carriers - a little bit of padding is good - the frustrating thing is that I made some carriers 2 years ago (different color fabric) for GPS units and don't remember any problem -

Another idea would be to use a different fabric but did not see anything with an outside similar to Cordura 1000 with a bit of padding and an inner fabric - maybe a new product for Sailrite to add to the catalog??

thanx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic