Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Locked3-Bow Bimini Zipper Pockets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-Bow Bimini Zipper Pockets
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 10:54am
I am working on a 3-bow bimini with an attached extension to the existing dodger.  Before I cut fabric. I want to try to understand how the zipper pockets work.

I have 3 panels: I'll call the extension from fwd bow to the dodger "FWD," the one between forward to mid bows "MID," and the aft one "AFT." The forward and aft zipper pockets are fairly obvious - I will pattern from the forward edge of MID panel and the aft edge of AFT panel, respectively.

But the middle zipper?  The middle bow is attached to the aft bow, so I am thinking I pattern it off the forward edge of the AFT panel.  However, the pattern line was drawn on top of this bow, so (with the seam on the top of the bow) the pocket will have to extend forward around and under the bow and zip to the underside of the aft panel.  In other words, it has to wrap around about 3/4 of the diameter, where the aft bow (pattern marked at about 45 degrees between vertical and horizontal) only has to go about half that distance.  How do I account for this?  If the pocket is too tight, the middle bow will be pulled closer to the aft bow, and the seam will not lie on top of the bow.

Since my extension to the dodger is attached to the bimini, the same situation occurs for the forward pocket as well.

-Sue

Edited by Sue2 - 23 May 2017 at 10:55am
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:17pm
You have a good understanding of this Sue. The answer is that you move the zipper pocket edge that is sewn down to the top toward the center seam by 1/2 of the circumference of the tubing. So if it is 1" tubing you would move the edge in by 1.57". This creates slack in the pocket that allows the bow to sit exactly where you want it.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:04am
Thanks Matt!  That makes perfect sense.

-Sue
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:45am
Happy sewing!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic