Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Locked1st project. Snowblower Cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st project. Snowblower Cab
    Posted: 13 December 2015 at 9:22pm

My first post on my 1st project with my new LS-1.

I want to see if the photos come through, then I can explain the build.

Photos are at    http://s496.photobucket.com/user/Drooly/media/Cab/5.jpg.html
Phil
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2015 at 9:41pm
Phil,

The snowblower cab looks amazing, great workmanship! Look forward to your explaination of the build.

Best Regards,
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 1:04am

So, I am off limits to my wife's sewing machines. She does clothing work. And sometimes I need to sew something, so I decided on the LS-1 because of the portability and wanted a robust walking foot machine that I can fix myself. So far it seems to be a good tool.

At my age it is time for a cab on the snow blower. I mainly used 2 of the Sailrite videos to show me how. The "Build a grill cover" and "How to install a window in canvas" videos.

The frame was made out of 1/2" conduit and connected to the handlebars with 3/4" conduit and triangulated to the main frame of the blower for a little extra support with 3/4" conduit. I bent the pipe with a cheap conduit bender and used steel conduit connectors that I got at Home depot. I needed steel connectors because of the welding required. I ground off the galvanize where it needed welding, and painted where it was welded. Screws that hold any joints together were faced inward. I came up with a 15 degree cab (head forward) design so the window wouldn't slap me in the face when I maneuvered the machine around. The conduit bender gave a good curve for sewing around the corner. I added 3 cross braces in the front and 2 in the back.

I used the Sailrite pattern material and double sided tape to draw out how I needed to sew it, and add the windows where I thought they should be. 3 pieces. Front and top on 1 piece and 2 sides. I allowed for hems and a place to add extra support for the snaps. Pretty much 2 hours of thinking about it and 5 minutes to draw it. I marked all my sewing points and notes. Then cut it to shape.

The pattern was transferred to marine grade Sunbrella. I used Regalite #30 for the windows. First, I installed the windows. I did the window exactly how the video showed using the CANVAS basting tape and the 1" binding. Then I again laid the pattern over it and cut the outside shape of the panels. I sewed in the windows before I cut the shape of the outside in case there was any distortion from window installation. I transferred a "sew line" onto the fabric from the pattern, and left an inch extra. I cut the Sunbrella with heat " as advised". I beat the tip of my Weller solder gun flat. It worked fine with a glass cutting surface.

For needed space, I moved the sewing operation into the garage and used all the tables I had for sewing area. That Sunbrella with #30 windows is stiff and heavy and I wish I had more table space. I sewed the panels together about 1/8" from the sewing line for a more loose fit. Sewing around the corners and getting the stiff fabric into position was tough, but doable. I was really worried that the ends wouldn't meet and I would end up with a puckered mess. No so! I took my time and the ends came out less than 1/2" off over 5 feet of sewing around corners.

I wrestled the thing onto the snow blower and tugged it around to make it fit. I used the Sailrite rivet gun snap dies. That was a good tool as I could take it to the work and tension the fabric before adding the snaps.

If I was to do it over, I would make sure I had more table space for sewing. Especially for getting the windows sewn in. I would have also sewn directly on the sew lines that I drew because it ended up fitting a little loose and I had to gather one corner around the pipe with snaps in order to tension it. Over all, I guess it's ok for a first job on an old snow blower. With frame any everything, I messed around with it for about a month in my spare time.

I really wanted to see a video on this, but was able to get the info I needed from watching related videos.

My new Ultrafeed LS-1 seems to have performed well. It is a little small, but I can take it to the work and so far it appears that I will be able to adjust / repair it myself. One disappointment was when I had a question on machine tensioning, I called in and the operator gave me a support ticket. I never got a reply after that. Only a ticket number. 3 weeks and still waiting. It was only a simple question. But anyhow, after some use the machine seems to have broken in and seems better now.

Thanks for viewing my little story.
Phil
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 8:36am
Hi Phil,
Great story on the project. I did check the ticket and see that Matt Borden did reply to the support ticket on 11/27/15 at 1:08 PM EST. I will resend that response and do contact us if you don't get this one. Perhaps it is going to your spam folder.
Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

My first post on my 1st project with my new LS-1.

I want to see if the photos come through, then I can explain the build.

Photos are at    http://s496.photobucket.com/user/Drooly/media/Cab/5.jpg.html
Very nice job!

Click save...

2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 8:26pm
The construction looks very good.

It may be that a pressure relief flap is required to lessen the stress forces when using this in a strong wind from the rear. The enclosure will act like a sail, so a flap to allow air to escape would help.

Another alternative would be a rear door to block off the back.
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 12:42pm
The concern I have is about the frame design.

All of the wind forces, pushing from the front or the rear, are attempting to twist the enclosure, rocking it back or front. Those twisting forces are being resisted by the two orange four way joints below the handle.

The frame strength could be improved by adding struts, to make triangles, as close to equilateral as possible, not shallow. For example, adding struts from the top front corners or along the front strut length to the handle attachment near the wheel will make the structure stronger, to resist front to rear twisting forces. That is contrasted to adding them to the bottom strut, making a shallow triangle, not anywhere near as strong.

Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic